Wednesday, June 5, 2019

FAIL: wicking beds that don't last

I have written several articles about building cheap wicking beds using mixed materials and lined with builders plastic to form a reservoir. Unfortunately, these beds simply do not last. The builders plastic develops a leak, roots get in, and the reservoir fails. I am trialling a bed using pond-linear (which is quite a bit thicker), however experiments with a reed-bed made with pond-liner (it leaked!) suggest that this is unlikely to work.

For now, I am transitioning my leaking wicking beds (I think three of four are leaking) to IBCs, which I am hopeful will have better longevity. I will document this more in future.

1 comment:

  1. Bad luck with the leaking beds! Hope the IBCs do a better job. Friends of mine have had considerable success with old fridges from the tip with doors removed and turned on their backs. Several years later and they are still going strong.

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.